The news resource and discussion forum for everything Duke Nukem related. Talk about anything Duke Nukem related here. News, mods, fanart, rumors, anything is welcome to discussion!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Did DNF suck?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alyxx
Admin

Radiation : 0

PostSubject: Did DNF suck?   Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:41 pm

In your opinion, did DNF suck or not?

In my opinion, DNF has its flaws and there was no way it could live up to so much hype. But the game itself is pretty fun to play imo and has all the Duke personality it needs and then some.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alyxxgameroom.blogspot.no/
xMobilemux
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Did DNF suck?   Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:46 pm

I thought DNF was fine, not a great game but defiantly not bad.

I enjoyed the shrunken parts most of all Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thedukecave.forumclan.com
Alyxx
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Did DNF suck?   Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:47 pm

Yeah, same here. The shrunk bits were insanely fun. To me, DNF is kind of a diamond in the rough. Might not be pretty to look at at times but it's not totally worthless either.
Back to top Go down
Subedei

PostSubject: Re: Did DNF suck?   Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:28 am

Alyxx wrote:
In your opinion, did DNF suck or not?

In my opinion, DNF has its flaws and there was no way it could live up to so much hype. But the game itself is pretty fun to play imo and has all the Duke personality it needs and then some.

I love DNF and spent a lot of time playing it, not even MP, but SP.
But DNF sucks, IMHO because gaming mechanics is broken:

1. Terrible animation
2. Brain dead 2/4 limits limitation ... WTF??? They call this "old school shooter"????
3. Nightmarish mouse - after DNF I was not able to play my beloved Quake anymore -
I've lost all aiming speed/precision. I think, they use unsigned char datatype internally to
hold the rotation angle, otherwise, I do not understand how mouse can be so bad.
4. Boring guns, except shotgun (devastator, RPG - suck, no ammo for them except stupid crates).
5. I hate pressing 'E' button (I'm playing on PC) every time I want to pick up a weapon or climb the ladder -
this also kills the speed.

Everything else is fine for me: I love Duke's jokes Smile I like his voice (I think, it's much more better than in DN3D), I like his personality, he's a badass! Smile

P.S. Yeah, and I do not like that Duke failed to save Holsom girls. And they said this guy saves our chicks??? Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alyxx
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Did DNF suck?   Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:17 am

Yeah, I can see those flaws too. I just never really minded it I guess.
Back to top Go down
thunderPIN

PostSubject: Re: Did DNF suck?   Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:49 am

My honest opinion on Duke Nukem Forever:

I don't think the game sucks. But I do think it could have been a better game. Some of the design choices really boggle my mind. There was 12 years of fans telling 3D Realms what they wanted. They had TONS of feedback to go off of. It just doesn't make sense.

When I look back I think I had myself way too excited for the game. I'm just glad the game is done and I got to play through it. If the game would never have came out it would have killed me wondering how it would have turned out. I think in the end the developers just wanted to get the game out and stopped focusing on some of the key aspects of the game so they could get it launched.

I like the game and could play it any time of the day. I had lots of fun with it. The game actually has a lot of content and a good length campaign. I just wouldn't rank it in my list of Top 5 Duke games. I think if the game wouldn't have taken so long to make it wouldn't have gotten bashed so hard by the critics and journalists. Some reviews were just too damn harsh. When you give the game a 2 or 3/10 rating, to me that means the game is unplayable. Duke Nukem Forever is a game that is definitely playable and not broken to the point of being useless. There was just some poor design choices made. Either way the game is still a legend of the industry and I still love Duke. I just hope he can recover after the negative response of DNF.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Subedei

PostSubject: Re: Did DNF suck?   Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Alyxx wrote:
Yeah, I can see those flaws too. I just never really minded it I guess.

IMHO Those flaws killed the game.
I was expecting from DNF a good old violence, fast, brutal, agressive, nicely executed.
What I got is a limping invalid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alyxx
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Did DNF suck?   Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:20 am

thunderPIN wrote:
My honest opinion on Duke Nukem Forever:

I don't think the game sucks. But I do think it could have been a better game. Some of the design choices really boggle my mind. There was 12 years of fans telling 3D Realms what they wanted. They had TONS of feedback to go off of. It just doesn't make sense.

When I look back I think I had myself way too excited for the game. I'm just glad the game is done and I got to play through it. If the game would never have came out it would have killed me wondering how it would have turned out. I think in the end the developers just wanted to get the game out and stopped focusing on some of the key aspects of the game so they could get it launched.

I like the game and could play it any time of the day. I had lots of fun with it. The game actually has a lot of content and a good length campaign. I just wouldn't rank it in my list of Top 5 Duke games. I think if the game wouldn't have taken so long to make it wouldn't have gotten bashed so hard by the critics and journalists. Some reviews were just too damn harsh. When you give the game a 2 or 3/10 rating, to me that means the game is unplayable. Duke Nukem Forever is a game that is definitely playable and not broken to the point of being useless. There was just some poor design choices made. Either way the game is still a legend of the industry and I still love Duke. I just hope he can recover after the negative response of DNF.
I personally don't give a f*** about the negative response and criticism. I still love the game and I dare say it's my favourite.
To quote Duke: "Blow it out your ass."
Back to top Go down
DOOMdestroyer360

PostSubject: Re: Did DNF suck?   Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:27 am

DNF was just a bland game, it wasn't horrible, there was just nothing about it that really stood out and it felt like it was trying too hard to adapt with the times but didn't quite understand how to go about doing that. The development time doomed it from the start because all of the idiot consumers who weren't familiar with the legacy of the title assumed it took 12 years to make the build of the game that was released, instead of all the different phases it went through. I liked it, and I'm glad I finally got to play it, but if anything I'm happy because of closure. At least I was able to complete the game without cheat codes, unlike Postal 3 which was broken as all hell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alyxx
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Did DNF suck?   Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:09 pm

Eh, Aliens Colonial Marines was bland. Duke Nukem Forever had a lot of personality still to it and felt anything but bland to me.
Back to top Go down
Subedei

PostSubject: Re: Did DNF suck?   Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:01 am

Alyxx wrote:
Eh, Aliens Colonial Marines was bland. Duke Nukem Forever had a lot of personality still to it and felt anything but bland to me.

Let's hope Gearbox is not going to make next Duke's game the way A: CM was done, nothing can be worse (if Gearbox will ever do anything Duke-related at all). Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DOOMdestroyer360

PostSubject: Re: Did DNF suck?   Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:12 am

Well, I didn't actually play Aliens: CM, but I did follow the story with it. As for DNF, IMO it came across as a "Saints Row" version of Halo and maybe Half-Life. Wasn't bad, just felt like it was an empty shell with potential at its core. I enjoyed it for what it was, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did DNF suck?   

Back to top Go down

Did DNF suck?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1