The news resource and discussion forum for everything Duke Nukem related. Talk about anything Duke Nukem related here. News, mods, fanart, rumors, anything is welcome to discussion!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

DN Trilogy General Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alyxx
Admin

Radiation : 0

PostSubject: DN Trilogy General Discussion   Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:03 am

Your thoughts on the Duke Nukem Trilogy games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alyxxgameroom.blogspot.no/
thunderPIN

PostSubject: Re: DN Trilogy General Discussion   Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:25 am

I'll start this one off. I don't mean to offend any of the people who worked on this game who may visit this forum and read this post but I am going to be completely honest about my feelings for Duke Nukem: Critical Mass. I also hope I don't cause any bad feelings with any members of this forum with the following comments I make. I'm just trying to give my honest opinion about the game.

Duke Nukem: Critical Mass is the first and only Duke game that I actually did not enjoy. It actually annoys me that this game disappointed me so much. I have enjoyed every Duke game up until this one.

I can remember back when the resurrection of Apogee was announced and that Duke would finally be making his return to gaming after a long absence with the Duke Nukem Trilogy. I was VERY excited about the news! I told everyone I knew about the announcement and did extensive coverage on my Duke Facebook group. But the wait for the game after the original announcement got longer and longer......and LONGER. No news or any updates about the game for the longest time. Then there was some legal mumbo jumbo about the game and its future was in jeopardy. Then it was cancelled. And then it came back from the dead. After years of waiting we got lots of media for the game. The release date for the game here wasn't even widely announced. That's when I got really scared about this game. I can't remember correctly but I believe there wasn't even a solid US release date. On the Apogee website it gave the UK release and the US release was 'soon after'. I went to my EB Games week after week trying to find out when this game was coming out. The game never even made it's final release date here in Canada. I eventually came to the conclusion that my EB Games just wasn't going to be getting the game. Then a month later the game randomly showed up in the store and was on the shelf when I walked in. It had actually been in the store for days before I even discovered it. Purchased it for $29.99 plus HST. Got the game home and popped it into my DS and that's when the nightmare came true...

As soon as I started in the first level I noticed things were not right. Duke's animations were very poor and the controls just felt clunky. The graphics and textures were very underwhelming. I remember the games graphics being advertised as pushing the DS to its limits. Not even close. I just did not get much joy from Critical Mass at all. I found it to be boring and very repetitive. I do applaud the fact they they tried to do something different with having the 3 different types of play style but the problem is that it was so poorly executed. I also felt that there really wasn't much reward from playing the game. The unlockable pictures of the babes were terrible and laughable at its best. (I swear one of the babes has scars on her body) Another problem I have is with the weapons. There is a bunch of different weapons but it's almost impossible to tell what some of them are and what exactly they do. There isn't even any names for the weapons in the game. (For example, I picked up this long silver tube thing that shoots out blue lasers. Is it supposed to be some kind of laser cannon?) The game almost seems like it tries to be like Manhattan Project at times and I swear some of the sound clips were taken from that game. Especially when you go up to rescue some of the babes. One thing I did enjoy about the game was the soundtrack. Some of the music was really catchy.

After years of waiting and finally getting to play Critical Mass it was a major disappointment. I felt like I was d*cked around for a very long time by the publisher and was left with a very lacklustre product in the end. It is not worthy of the Duke Nukem name and Duke deserves a lot better than this. The fact that it was a $30 game was a crime in itself. It wouldn't even be worth half of that price as a downloadable title. It's not even a slightly decent platformer. I have played platformers from the 80's that are a lot better than Critical Mass. It's bad enough that the game was awarded worst handheld game of 2011. I wish the game would have stayed cancelled and I hope that the Duke Nukem Trilogy does not continue on. I would rather have a better and different Duke title to play in the future. I lost faith in Apogee after playing the game but I'm hoping the upcoming Rise of the Triad reboot changes my mind.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alyxx
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DN Trilogy General Discussion   Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:11 pm

I dunno, I definitely like it personally. It does have a lot of flaws though but I'm willing to look past them since I have fun playing it.
Back to top Go down
NUKEMDAVE

Radiation : 1

PostSubject: Re: DN Trilogy General Discussion   Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:54 am

Well, there's still two more games left in the Trilogy and the project is still open. I personally hope they make the next two games console exclusives, if they can. I do know that they can't develop and release them for PC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DOOMdestroyer360

PostSubject: Re: DN Trilogy General Discussion   Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:20 am

I found it to be kind of a strange marketing device for them calling it a "Trilogy" and giving very little real information about any of the games other than working titles. Poor ol' Duke can't afford to have any more disappointing installments to the franchise, I hope they put some real effort into the other two titles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alyxx
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DN Trilogy General Discussion   Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:03 am

To me it wasn't disappointing. I dunno, maybe I'm alone about that.
Back to top Go down
thunderPIN

PostSubject: Re: DN Trilogy General Discussion   Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:14 am

If I may add onto my previous rant. To me Duke Nukem is a AAA gaming franchise. These days we have AAA franchises like Gears of War, Halo, Uncharted, etc. I just feel that Critical Mass was not treated as a AAA title. There was too much silence and secrecy leading up to its release. I just feel like the game was not put into the right hands. The final product was just not AAA quality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alyxx
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DN Trilogy General Discussion   Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:11 am

Yeah, I agree about that. I'm just one of those people who can enjoy a "bad" game, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DN Trilogy General Discussion   

Back to top Go down

DN Trilogy General Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1